The purpose of this blog is to report on winter climbing conditions in Snowdonia, to keep you lot who like nothing better than climbing ice, snow, frozen turf etc in ridiculously low temps informed!! As well as it being a record of some of my own winter climbing adventures. Feel free to email me any of your own conditions reports & photos you have & I will post them here. The more info on winter conditions the better! email:
andymountains@googlemail.com

Wednesday 10 March 2010

Y Garn



Out soloing on my own today (becoming a habit) Went up to Cwm Clyd (Y Garn). Firstly climbed slabs to the left of A Gully (see photo). Some good sections of ice & mixed climbing went at about a II/III at a push. Then dropped down & did B Gully on great neve snow all the way. Never done this one before and found it to be easy at the grade I/II. No cornice to speak of at the top (see photo), which disappointed me a bit as I was after a bit of adventure and would like to have done battle with one!! Then descended Banana Gully, which has a small cornice. Poor snow conditions in Banana, sugary collapsing snow apart from top 30m or so.

Top pic: Y Garn topo (dotted line to left of A Gully is the slabs I climbed)
Bottom pic: Lack of cornice at top of B Gully

No comments:

Post a Comment