The purpose of this blog is to report on winter climbing conditions in Snowdonia, to keep you lot who like nothing better than climbing ice, snow, frozen turf etc in ridiculously low temps informed!! As well as it being a record of some of my own winter climbing adventures. Feel free to email me any of your own conditions reports & photos you have & I will post them here. The more info on winter conditions the better! email:
andymountains@googlemail.com

Friday 10 December 2010

A big thaw

I decided it was about time I tested out my ankle today as basically I couldn't wait any longer. It was drizzling on my journey down & as I headed towards Nant Peris with low cloud there was no sign of any snow! I had decided to head up to Cwm Glas with the possibility of a forray on Sargeant's Gully ice if it was still climbable. Very low cloud meant that I couldn't look up from the pass into Cwm Glas so had no idea how extensive the overnight thaw had been. Craig y Rhaeadr has been fairly stripped back & had water pouring off it along with loud cracks & clunks every couple of minutes as blocks of ice tumbled down the crag. Despite limited visibility, very boggy gound & still no snow I pressed on to try & locate Sargeant's Gully in the vain hope it had retained its ice, although my already low optimism was ebbing away. To my dismay when I arrived at what is ususlly the first 'pitch', I saw that it was purely now water with no sign of any ice at all. Not good, but no real suprise. So instead I practised a bit of nav & had a reasonable walk. Ankle not fully mended (was sore upon my return to the car), but improving.
See Carl's report below for the depressing news about Idwal ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment