The purpose of this blog is to report on winter climbing conditions in Snowdonia, to keep you lot who like nothing better than climbing ice, snow, frozen turf etc in ridiculously low temps informed!! As well as it being a record of some of my own winter climbing adventures. Feel free to email me any of your own conditions reports & photos you have & I will post them here. The more info on winter conditions the better! email:
andymountains@googlemail.com

Wednesday 29 December 2010

Darren Hollins reports on Idwal ice & NE Spur, Y Garn

Just had the following info from Darren Hollins. He was out & about around Idwal & then on the NE Spur of Y Garn yesterday (Tuesday 28th):

NE Spur, Y Garn: 'Due to the extensive thaw, most of the powder had gone from the lower sections & the main path up to Llyn Idwal was very slushy. Between 300 - 700 meters, the snow was quite soft & hard going! After about 700 meters or so it started to become reasonably hard neve in patches. Things were melting fast though & with today's temperatures being slightly warm again I'd be interested to see how they are (Beware there is a lot of loose rock on the "Castle of the Goats" Following the hard freeze & subsequent thaw!). I'm off to investigate Cwm Cneifion tomorrow!!'

'I've got some pictures from the Devils Kitchen taken yesterday as well - I'll mail them to you later, including a helicopter rescue of some guy with a pulled muscle I think!! Went for a look up there first, before traversing round to the NE spur. I went up to the base of the Ramp & Screen, it was like standing by a shower & my better judgment told me to move away before I got speared by a giant icicle!! Some guys were on "Central Route" on the Kitchen - not sure if they finished it or not though...Hope this helps.

Cheers

Darren'

-----------------

Thanks Darren, much appreciated!!

---------------------

Pic 1: South Gully - Devil's Pipes
Pic 2: The Screen & The Curtain
Pic 3: The Devil's Appendix
Pic 4: The Goat Path area





No comments:

Post a Comment